July 14th 2016
Amelia Freer: The ultimate veggie burger recipe
June 27th 2016
Nutritional therapist Amelia Freer shares her delicious vegetarian red lentil burger recipe
Lentils are a great source of vegan protein and although not strictly paleo, I do use them quite a bit as a healthy alternative to animal protein. They are great in soups but my favourite is to make tasty burgers with them – don’t be afraid to play around with flavours – they are very versatile in taste.
270g Red Lentils
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, grated
1 tsp tomato puree
2 tsp dried or fresh mixed herbs (I like the waitrose frozen Mediterranean or Thai mixes)
½ cup coconut flour
1 red chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
Zest of 1 lemon (or lime if using Thai flavours)
Sea salt & fresh black pepper
Coconut or Olive oil
1. Fill a pan with boiling water and lentils and simmer till soft.
2. In the meantime, heat a frying pan with 1 tsp coconut or olive oil and add the onion, garlic, carrot, tomato paste and herbs. Cook until tender.
3. Add the lemon or lime zest, salt & pepper.
4. Add the cooked lentils and flour and mix together. (You may need to add a little water if the mixture is too dry)
5. Put in the fridge to cool for 30 miinutes.
6. Mould the mixture into 6 burgers and fry in a little coconut or olive oil until the outside is golden and the middle is warm.
I like to serve these with a simple mixed salad. I hope you enjoy them.
Related GTG features
March 7th 2016
6 hours ago
8 hours ago