August 22nd 2016
Milly Cookbook recipe: Butternut squash pearl barley risotto with sage butter
September 5th 2016
Try this delicious and easy risotto recipe from actress and foodie Nicola 'Milly' Millbank
Actress Nicola 'Milly' Millbank started her blog, Milly Cookbook, as a way to share great food that's fad-free and full of flavour amid a filtered world of 'clean' eating and elimination diets. Earlier this summer, Milly shared a taste of what her weekly food diary looks like ahead of the pre-order release for her new cookbook, and here she serves up one of her favourite homemade recipes for a deliciously hearty risotto. Dig in...
500g of 1 inch butternut squash
2 banana shallots, finely chopped
1 garlic clove
A few sage leaves, a couple shredded and few left whole
100ml white wine
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
300g pearl barley
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 190C.
2. Chop the butternut squash into 1 inch pieces, and place onto a baking tray.
3. Drizzle with olive oil, scatter with salt and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until soft.
4. In a heavy based pan, fry the shallots in a glug of olive oil until soft and add the garlic and shredded sage.
5. Add the pearl barley and stir for a couple of minutes until all the grains are coated in oil.
6. Pour in the white wine and allow it to fully cook away.
7. Add the stock, bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer.
8. Cover with a lid and cook for 20-25 minutes until al dente, adding a little extra water if necessary.
9. Once the pearl barley is cooked, season with salt and pepper and add a handful of the butternut squash pieces into the risotto and set aside.
10. In a small frying pan, melt the butter along with the sage leaves over a high heat until they turn crispy and the butter starts the brown. Once done remove from the heat.
11. To serve, plate the risotto with a few extra pieces of butternut squash and drizzle over the butter and crispy sage leaves.
Related GTG features
August 1st 2016
18 hours ago
1 day ago
February 21st 2017