April 13th 2017
Tom Daley Daily Plan recipe: kedgeree with salmon
January 20th 2017 / 0 comment
Come breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner, this warming meal idea from Tom Daley’s new book makes for a tasty and hearty choice
495 calories per serving
200g salmon fillet
1 tbsp olive oil
2 large spring onions, sliced into small rings
¾ tsp curry powder
¼ tsp turmeric
good pinch of chilli flakes
75g brown basmati rice
275ml hot vegetable or chicken stock
1 small courgette, finely grated
60g frozen peas, thawed
2 tbsp parsley, plus extra to garnish
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the grill. Season the salmon fillet with salt and pepper and grill it for about 10 minutes until cooked. Set the fish aside until it’s cool enough to handle, then flake it into large chunks.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan and stir-fry the spring onions for 2–3 minutes until softened. Stir in the spices and season well, then continue to stir-fry for a minute or so to cook the spices.
3. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute to coat it in the spices. Pour the hot stock over the top and put a lid on the pan. Bring the stock to the boil, then turn the heat down low and cook for 20–25 minutes.
4. Take the lid off the pan and quickly spoon the grated courgette and peas on top of the rice. Cover the pan again and continue to cook for 3–5 minutes longer until all the water has been absorbed and the courgette and peas are tender.
5. Meanwhile, bring a small pan of water to the boil and cook the eggs for 6 minutes. Drain well and cover the eggs with cold water, then carefully peel off the shells.
6. Fluff up the rice and stir in the parsley and salmon flakes, then divide the kedgeree between 2 bowls. Halve the eggs, arrange them on top and scatter over a little more parsley if you like before serving.