January 6th 2022
Recipe: make Dr Michael Mosley's Fast 800 low carb salmon sushi
December 21st 2021 / 0 comment
Based on the ketogenic and Mediterranean diets, this tasty take on sushi is high in protein, healthy fats and fibre
First Dr Michael Mosley brought us the 5:2 fast diet which helped thousand of peopel lose eight and reverse type 32 diabetes. More recebtly it; evolved into the Fast 800 an 800-calorie a day way of eating for weight loss, which embraces time-restricted eating, the Keto or high fat diet and the Mediterranean diet principles of consuming a diet rich in healthy proteins and vegetables and lower in carbs.
The idea is that your body works a bit like a hybrid car, with two alternative fuel sources, fat and glucose carbs). As a preference, the body uses sugar first, but if we give it fewer carbs,m it then has to flip the switch to burning fat for energy. Using fat as fuel is also known as ketosis.
Dr Mosley believes the concept can help treat obesity and type 2 diabetes, as well as improve brain health, blood pressure and inflammation.
Dr Mosley's next book, The Fast 800 Keto, £7.99 out on December 31, is all about the ketogenic way of eating
Try it for yourself by swapping your takeaway sushi for this cauliflower version rich in omega-3, unsaturated fats and fibre, leaving you feeling fresh over this holiday period.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
150g cauliflower, riced
50g cream cheese, softened
0.5 tbsp rice wine vinegar
0.5 tbsp tamari
1-2 sheets Nori paper
0.5 cucumber, sliced lengthways into thin strips
0.25 avocado, sliced thinly
40g smoked salmon
¼ lemon, juice
pickled ginger, for serving
1. In a pan over medium-high heat, fry cauliflower rice with tamari - cook until it dries out (about 5-10 minutes).
2. Allow cauliflower to cool a bit and add to a bowl with cream cheese and rice wine vinegar. Mix together well and place in the fridge until cool.
3. Once the rice mixture is cooled, you can start making your sushi.
4. Place a nori sheet down on a board, rough side up (or bamboo rolling sheet if you have one. Spread some of the cauliflower rice mixture in a thin layer over the nori sheet, leaving about 2cm/¾ inch of empty space at the top.
5. Place all of the filling items along the sushi roll, don’t overfill.
6. Roll sushi tightly (using a bamboo sheet if you have one as this will give a tighter roll).
7. Repeat if you have ingredients left over.
8. Cut sushi into 2cm/½ inch portions and serve with lemon squeezed over the top and pickled ginger.
If following a gluten-free diet, please check the label of the tamari to ensure there are no sources of gluten.
Swap the salmon and avocado for your favourite sushi fillings!
Recipes from The Fast 800 online programme developed in conjunction with Dr Michael Mosley to offer support and guidance for achieving long-lasting health.